Monday, October 09, 2006

3 Weeks Have Flown......


well i have now been here for 3 weeks. the first week i was with jodie the other au pair and she showed me the ropes but now i have been here for 2 weeks on my own.
to be honest in the first week i wasnt sure what i had gotten myself into - everything seemed so hard. the kids were naughty, no one spoke english and i didnt understand my job. i had to go to german class where i knew nothing and i didnt have a friend in the whole country literally.
thankfully though jodie introduced me to here friend jenny who is an absolute gem. she is a nanny and makes really good money. from the uk she had a mad sense of humour and everytime i see her i laugh my head off. also 3 girls from my german class and i have become really good friends. we go out after class and are planning to study together. then my last friend lucille is also really great! we all went to luzern with her yesterday for a day trip which was really nice. all up i took 56 photos!!!
so far in my 3 weeks i have already been on a boat ride to raperswill, been to the holiday house in samedan for 4 days and gone hiking and i have also been shopping, out into zurich night life and had lots of fun with the kids.
granted the kids are spoilt and they always want their mum. its hard to sometimes know whats going on becuase the family speaks french but i am now starting to get along with the kids and they seem to like me. it also seems to me that i am learning more french than german but i guess that will come with time and i just have to study lots...
catherine my boss also said the kids like me and she is really happy with how well i am settling in and doing my job. for the first time today also i got to take the car out. she didnt even give me a lesson just made me follow her to kussnacht which is about 15 minutes. it was really scary at first and i bumped into the gutter becuase i am now on the otherside of the car and the road is opposite to australia. but no one died and the cars really easy to drive so i think catherine will let me take the kids out in that and then i'll get the smart car for weekends when beat isnt using it.
lots to learn and still heaps more to do. still popping on the email every day and night to see who has emailed me and talking to my mum on skype practically everyday because i just can but with time i think i will start to be more independant and be ok to go by a day or so without having to hear whats going on at home.
catherine also said she will buy me a swim pass too so that means i will get to go swimming at the local pool in my breaks which will be nice because i have been eating so much 'cause the food is so good here!!
well thats it for now thought i better start up some sort of blog to capture the memories and to go alongside the 1000's of photos that i will be taking...

No comments: