Tuesday, March 13, 2007

If I hear another bird sing "cuckoo"


Lacey and I planned a little weekend away to Triberg, Germany for the past weekend. Triberg home of the cuckoo clock and Germany's highest waterfall is only 2 hours by train from Zurich main station and we got a really good deal through the SBB.

So we were looking forward to it and planning what we would do whilst on the trip when we discovered that entrance to the waterfall is shut during the winter months. Oh no! We were worried the trip was going to be a disaster if we couldnt see the towns main attraction but thankfully Europe hasnt even had a winter this year and we had beautiful weather the whole time we were there, the waterfall was open and was as pretty as ever without a pile of snow in sight!

I got the chance to make a new friend called Cindy from Michigan who Lacey met through her au-pair group and had a really relaxing weekend with all the girls who besides Lacey, Cindy and I were my german class buddies Manda and Svetlana!
Our hotel was warm and friendly and we got the chance to see the worlds largest cuckoo clock, then the worlds second largest just around the corner, many more cuckoo clocks for sale and we went to the Pilgrimage church (one of the oldest buildings in Triberg). We also went hiking! Lacey and I have decided to become true swiss and enjoy greenery so we went on a nature trail to the water fall whcih was great! It was fresh and green in the forest and it was a nice temperature so we werEn't drenched in sweat by the time we reached it!

As always I took lots of photos and drank lots of sparkling wine with my friends and all in all had a great weekend.

Im trying to think of more little weekend trips I can do while I am here and really want to see more of Switzerland but internal travel is ser teuer (very expensive) so little trips to Germany and perhaps Austria might end up cheaper....

1 comment:

LuLu said...

Hi it's me...your blog stalker!! Glad we got to spend this past weekend together in Triberg...I'm very much looking forward to going out this weekend and Budapest next weekend...Yay...seeing the world together!!!