Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Call me a Swiss Mountain climber!

Manda invited me to go hiking with her, David and Sara on the weekend. At first I was sad that Lacey wasnt able to come because I knew that she would be my partner in crime who would roll back down the mountain with me if it got to hard but then I figured I can only get better so I may as well give it a go..... BIG MISTAKE!!

I have never heard Manda apologise so many time in one day as she did on Saturday. The plan was that we would do a leisurely hike that day... hahaha the hike turned out to be a full fledged mudslide slash rock climb slash death mission all rolled into one!

We drove to Zug which is one of the smaller cantons of Switzerland and near Luzern so about 1 hour from where I live. After then driving up the Zugerberg we left the safety of our car at 2pm and then started the climb. Initially we wanted to hike up the Wildspitz which is near one of the more famous mountains in Switzerland - the Rigi. The others climbed that one while I was in Belgium and let me tell you after the reports of that one I was not sad to have missed it.
So it began as a leisurely stroll. We stopped for lunch, we took our time and we enjoyed the scenery. It was a beautiful clear day as you can see from the photos and quite honestly my only concern at the beginning of this climb was getting a tick.

That all changed once the heat started to intensify, the water ran out and we had to start walking and hovering on the mountain edge that was extremly muddy and slippery. I swear I nearly fell to my death 8 times over! So we coped whilst moaning that we were never going to make it back down and all was fine until we got to what I like to call "the rock climb"

Sara and David scampered up this 90 degree rock with not too much trouble. There was a cable and it seemed like it might be ok. I went last after Amanda took some time contemplating the rock face. I started off ok but it was when i was half way up and looked down and saw the bottom that I froze. PANIC set in and I stopped. Hahahaha I really didnt think that I was going anywhere up or down but after some amazingness I went up the rest of the rock to continue our hike of our life.

After a little while it became obviuos that our the fork in the road (which we had come across a bit furthur back) had led us the wrong way Across the skyline we could see where we were meant to be and it made me sad. I have to say though that it gave me great joy knowing that I climbed that mountain when I seriously thought I wasnt going to make it.

Once at the top it was 6pm. Its daylight saving in Switzerland but we knew that we werent going to be getting down this 1500 medtre mountain face before it got dark so we walked across the top of the ridge to Wilspitz and had a drink at the restaurant.

Then the real fun began. As we were so concerned about it getting dark while we were at such high altitude and the temperature dropping to unbearable coldness we basically ran down the Wildspitz. MEGAN RAN! We stumbled over creeks, rocks, ridges ans steps. We sprinted across flat plains and only stopped briefly at watering holes for refreshment!

Finally making it back into the forest it was stating to get dark. We scampered through the trees trying to make our way back the way we came in. Luckily I was with some people that know directions cause I reckon if it was me by myself I would have been sleeping under a tree until morning.

10pm we made it back to the car and as you can see from this photo I have never been more happier in my life. I was sweaty, cold and exhausted but I was so proud of myself for making it. I wish Lacey was with us cause I know she could have done it too but we will go again and next time I will get a photo of me rock climbing.


Sunday was then spent down at the lake with my friends. It was so hot and there was lots of people but I will never get sick of the lake and its beauty. Relaxing and staring at the water it makes me appreciate being here.

Lacey and I then went to the airport and I bought doona covers for my new room as I am trying to make it pretty!! Svetlana also met us there and we had icecream.

Such a good weekend and very productive. Not only did I do my hike but I also swam 2km on Sunday. I think the mountain air agreed with me and I needed to do something to loosen my muscles. You should have seen me on Monday at work - I looked about 85 as I couldnt bend my knees and I was sooooo tired!

I am going to St Tropez tomorrow with my Swiss family and then meeting my parents there also so you probably wont hear from me for about 2 weeks so hopefully when I get back i will have lots of things to tell and hopefully that story wont include me being scrapped off the pavement because I have fried like an egg.....

1 comment:

Svetlana said...

Hey,
I'm glad you documented the hike. It sounds like it definitly deserves a written narrative. Glad you survived too :)