Saturday, June 16, 2007

23 has to be my lucky number!

After a hard few days since my parents left I was set on keeping myself busy for the weekend. On the Friday night I met my friends after they finished German class. Lacey was in Munich with her Mum and aunt so it was Manda, Sara and I. Manda's friend David was in town from Vienna so we went into Zurich to a suburb called Enge and went to a bar called Robin Hood. Apparently one of Davids favourites as the name is English or something... All I know is that I ordered a gin and tonic and I was 15 francs down. After that drink it was white wine all the way. We had a good night and I then slept over at Manda's house. We had guests from Frankfurt down for the weekend and seeing as I am in the guest room currently as my 'au pair' little wing thing isnt done I was the good samaritan who gave them my room. While I was happy to sleep in the tv room I was happier to go to Manda's.
It was on Saturday thenthat we went to Zug for a little sightseeing. It is such a pretty town and is where all the super rich people live as it has the lowest tax rate in all of Switzerland.
We walked along the lake and had a look in the old town. After a really nice lunch at an Italian restaurant, we wandered a bit more. The others wanted to stay and go swimming in the lake but I left at 3.30 to go back into Zurich.
Once in Zurich I went to the Swatch shop so I could go and buy a watch as my mum had said she would pay for it! I always wanted a swatch since I got here becuase it is the affordable swiss watch so I was really happy.
After I got home I had to quickly get ready to go to Jennys new place. She lives in a town called Binz Maur which seems like hella far away but its just cause you have to drive through forest!
Her new apartment is mad, so jealous I would love a place like that when I go back home. So anyway we took forever to get ready and then trammed into the city and went to the Niederdorf. Had a great night in one of the bars and met lots of cool people. The whole time I have been here I never heard so many English speakers as on Saturday night, it was so cool to not have to try and translate or just zone out cause I had no idea. No other Aussies but there were a few Canadians and Pommies and of course Americans!!
So after a late night on Saturday and a bludgy day Sunday I then met Manda and some of her friends down at the lake for a picnic in the arvo. It was sooo hot and I felt like I was going to melt away but so nice to meet some new people. Then crazy Manda and John decided to jump in the lake right before a lighning storm hit hahaha I have photos that Sara need to send me. You should see us - we all look like we jumped in the lake fully dressed.
The follwing week passed pretty uneventfully. Our main part of our house is nearly finsihed. Final touches like toilet roll holders and wall cabinets are being installed still but on Friday it should be all done. Dont even ask when the other section will be done. They say August I am thinking more along the lines of ummmmm August 2008.
Anyways so I had started to get a cold already during the week but it probably wasnt helped when on Thursday (my birthday) when it was like 30 degrees that I went in the lake. TWICE. Infront of all these construction men including Mr Nut Tree, hahaha pretty scary stuff. But it wa so hot and I had never been in the lake before. I must say it is really nice.

So on my birthday I got spolit. Most of my friends phoned, I got to speak to my grandma, my uncle and most important my parents. I wasnt allowed downstairs for half the morning while Catherine and the twins decorated the kitchen and cooked lunch. We had pizza which was so cute cause Nicolas made it! (He's 3)





Whilst on the phone to my sisters though, they told me Mum had another gift for me. She said it was a verbal gift and I had no idea what it was but it turns out that for my birthday they are sending Kim and Kate over for 2 weeks. Yay!!!!!!!! So they arrive in 3 weeks and I am going to show them the best time! I am so excited. They get to stay with my family. But I will go away with them on the weekends and plan a few cool trips for them wherever they want to go!!! Prague, Venice... anywhere I am so happy to see them. I was balling my eyes out the whole mornign with pure delight. My mum and Catherine had planned the whole thing!! Sneaky!! What was also sneaky was that on Thursday night when I was home for dinner and after the kids had gone to bed Manda and Lacey walked in the door. Catherine had secretly called them and organised for them to come over and surprise me for my bday dinner!! So cute, it was such a nice day and I was so happy. Yea as Chris says "instead of being disappointed that it wont be the same as normal, think of it as yet another new experience so make sure you embrace it". My birthday was different for one thing it was in Summer but most different was the fact that I wasnt with my family who I love the most. I wasnt down at The Bavarian Bier Cafe with my closest friends in the world like last year, instead I was here taking every day as it comes and slowly becoming more happy in my new house, coming to terms with the fact that I am here for another 16 months and actually loving the kids instead of just caring for them. I am so glad my parents knew I needed to see Kim and Kate. I cant wait for them to be here and I promise I will be at Zurich Flughafen at 6.15am on Monday 9th July to pick you two beautiful girls up.
On another note though just to inform everyone, my flight back home is booked and all set so I will see everyone else in 6 months for Christmas...haha such a happy day! So 23 and not quite sure whats next but I guess I'll just keep sailing cause for now thats just fine.

Thank you to my friends back home for remembereing my bday, thank you to my gorgeous swiss besties Manda and Lacey for coming out to freakin' Meilen on a school night and to my sisters and my parents for giving me the best gift in the world... my family.


Nicolas happy to be in the sun...

No comments: